Something that characterises our village and -at the same time -is sort of a sight worth seeing is the flourmill. The flourmill in existence today was operating since 1902 next to the banks of the river Serrachis, which crosses a bit outside the village. Until 1936 the mill operated with water (as its prime mover). Then, because of a water shortage, a diesel engine was installed, operating until 1983 when its owner, Mr Andreas Savva (Mylonas), transferred it to the centre of the village; there it operates with electricity until today.
From every corner of Cyprus people come to grind wheat, barley, as well as chick-peas, lentils, chickling vetch, coriander and cumin, which are ground in the smaller mills.
Because the mill works in the traditional manner, it is very often visited by pupils from various elementary schools so that our young people will see how flour, groats, et al are made.
Important parts of the water-mill, which still stands by the banks of the river today, are the raceway and the pit that are made of stone, having a height of about 15 metres above the surface of the earth and the shape of a cone.
The river’s water would run through the raceway and fell into the pit, exerting great pressure -due to the height -onto the vane that was placed at the end of the pit and outside of it, thus spinning and setting the mill into operation.